Where can we turn when the dark clouds of pain, suffering, and loss roll into our lives? Even for believers, times of difficulty can bring discouragement and despair and it can be hard to know how to respond in faith in the midst of frustration or heartbreak.
Thankfully, the Bible gives us a clear means of dealing with our trials: the practice of lament. As our guest defines it, to lament is to turn to God in honest, desperate prayer, giving voice to the reality of our emotions—as intense and tumultuous as they may be. Ultimately, lament is an expression of faith in the God who hears our cries and responds with mercy and grace.
Our guest pastor Mark Vroegop draws on examples from the Bible and his own story of loss to walk us through steps of lament (Turn, Complain, Ask, and Trust). Learn more about the importance of lament from the author of Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament.
On This Episode We’ll Discuss:
- What lament is, and why it is so important to the Christian life
- What we gain from studying lament in Scripture
- How we can complain to God without sinning against Him
- How a proper view of sorrow and lament enriches our view of hope and grace
- The process of biblical lament: Turning to God, Bringing our Complaint, Asking Boldly, and Choosing to Trust
- Encouragement for the hurting Christian
Listen to this episode on a separate page
iTunes • Stitcher • Google Play
About Our Guest
Mark Vroegop is the lead pastor of College Park Church in Indianapolis, Indiana. He is a conference speaker, a council member with the Gospel Coalition, a trustee of Cedarville University, and the author of Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy: Discovering the Grace of Lament.
- Visit MarkVroegop.com
- Purchase Dark Clouds, Deep Mercy
- 9 Marks book review
- How to Lament Well – DesiringGod.org
- Watch Mark Vroegop’s breakout session at The Gospel Coalition’s 2019 National Conference in Indianapolis, Indiana