Classic hymns communicate theological truths in a unique and memorable way. “Jesus Paid it All” is one such beloved hymn.
Written in 1865 by Elvina M. Hall, “Jesus Paid it All” has been sung by Christians for 150 years. This song celebrates the total sufficiency of Christ’s sacrifice on the cross to save us from sin. It is an outpouring of praise to the One who has paid our debt and raised us from our spiritual deadness.
Lyrics to “Jesus Paid it All”
I hear the Savior say,
“Thy strength indeed is small;
Child of weakness, watch and pray,
Find in Me thine all in all.”
Jesus paid it all,
All to Him I owe;
Sin had left a crimson stain,
He washed it white as snow.
For nothing good have I
Whereby Thy grace to claim;
I’ll wash my garments white
In the blood of Calv’ry’s Lamb.
And now complete in Him,
My robe, His righteousness,
Close sheltered ’neath His side,
I am divinely blest.
Lord, now indeed I find
Thy pow’r, and Thine alone,
Can change the leper’s spots
And melt the heart of stone.
When from my dying bed
My ransomed soul shall rise,
“Jesus died my soul to save,”
Shall rend the vaulted skies.
And when before the throne
I stand in Him complete,
I’ll lay my trophies down,
All down at Jesus’ feet.
We proclaim the joy of our salvation in the classic refrain: Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe; Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow. Tweet Lyric
Read More Hymn Stories:
- Hymn Story: Jesus, Lover of My Soul
- Hymn Story: O for a Thousand Tongues to Sing
- Hymn Story: Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow
- Hymn Story: Rock of Ages, Cleft for Me
- Hymn Story: Stand Up, Stand Up for Jesus!
- Hymn Story: What A Friend We Have In Jesus
- Hymn Story: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
- America’s Favorite Hymns – The Most Popular Hymns From 1737-1960